I got this from the campaign of the water company I am subscribing and found these tips very helpful. On the website of the water company, they sell some device that would help save water together with these tips, but I think by just doing these steps without any device used would save water anyway, so we do not really need to buy anything, just follow these water saving tips:
• Turning the tap off whilst brushing your teeth- it is an easy way to save water, in fact this one simple action can save up to ten litres of water each time you brush. Or you could use a cup!
• Save water and save energy by choosing a shower instead of a bath- They say that 15,000 litres of water per year could be saved if you choose this quick refreshing way to get cleaned.
• Make sure that every time you fill your washing machine or dishwasher it is fully loaded before you start it- because a two half loads will use more water than one full load.
• A modern dishwasher can use as little as 10 litres per cycle whereas an older style can use a massive 40 litres. When using your dishwasher, use the quick wash function if your pots and pans aren't really dirty.
• If you are waiting for the tap to run hot, collect the water and use it on your plants. Instead of waiting for it to run freezing cold, collect drinking water in a jug and store it in the fridge for a refreshing drink.
• Water your garden with a watering can rather than use a hosepipe or a sprinkler- a sprinkler can use as much water as a family of four uses in one day. If you do use a hose pipe fit a trigger gun attachment which allows you to control the flow of water more carefully.